Snoring is a common phenomenon that occurs in humans during sleep. It is mainly due to the obstruction of air flow into the respiratory canal. A grunting sound is generated as a result of vibrations in the respiratory organs. It could be noisy and thereby annoying to the people around. There are multiple reasons for snoring to occur in individuals. Issues pertaining to the
thyroid gland may also be responsible for snoring. Obstructive sleep apnea is also an issue that begins with the symptoms of snoring. While these are some of the superficial reasons behind snoring, there could be many other reasons wherein a physical barrier or a stress filled mind could be responsible for the snore. What happens if one snores is the next immediate question that arises. Studies have revealed that cardiac arteries could be affected by continued snoring every single day as there are chances that a plaque could form on the cardiac arteries. Apart from this major issue, there are more effects that snoring could impact on the snorer as well as upon the people who surround them. Here are a few points shared about treating snoring and bringing it down on a gradual basis by following the various possible methodologies.
One important thing about snoring is that the person who snores will half the time not admit that he or she snores. But the fatigue and the lack of interest seen in the following day will sure make one realize of his ailment. There are several ways that one can tackle through the snoring problems.
- Using dental appliances such as mandibular advancement splint which help pull the tongue forward leaving behind the upper jaw slightly. This treats snoring or sleep apnea at their mild or moderate stage.
- Using positive airway pressure appliance which is more like a mask that often covers the nose or the mouth or both will help a great deal in treating snoring and apnea.
- People also tend to go for a surgical procedure which involves the widening of the narrow airway by getting rid of some of the tissues situated in the back of the throat. This treatment may not be that effective as it is tedious and could as well have a lot of side effects in the longer run.
- An improvised surgical technique is the radio frequency ablation in which energy of radio frequency and also heat of about 77 to 85 degree C are given to the back of the throat where certain tissues are present. They get scarred and later on healed but one can surely see subsiding snoring.
- Pillar procedure is yet another method well known for treating snoring
- Medication also is another option for snore treatment.
Snoring mostly occurs naturally after a totally tiresome day and can be ignored if the reason behind it is the same. But severe snoring could be a symptom for various other possible ailments. Early treatment gives better relief and lesser complication thus making sleep sound and pleasant for everyone.